Fabulous header picture from i.Anton

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

DIY Headband

Apparently I'm on a roll making my way through my Fall To-Do List. Here we go with #6: Making a headband.


I thought about what I would actually want and I thought a pretty fall-like feathered headband would be perfect. So I headed over to Michael's to find something to work with. I found an oval shaped pheasant feather item and some brownish green beads. I went in my bathroom and opened the cupboard that's full of headbands I never wear because they're ugly (so why don't I throw them out?? uhh no answer). Low and behold I found this JCrew one that just isn't going to be worn anytime soon.



I painted it with fabric paint a dark brown. Then I let that dry while I figured out the feather situation. The original feather was way too large. Nice shape, but too big for the headband. So I cut it on each side on an arch. I wanted to give the feathers dimension so I took those two pieces and hot glued them on top of the feather piece that was left.



Next I took the beads individually and placed a bit of hot glue on the side and carefully placed it on the feather by where the over-lap of the glued piece was. I did this along the entire length of the feather and rounded it out at the top and came down the other side.



Then I decided where it was to be placed on the headband and placed a line of hot glue on the headband. I firmly placed the feather on the glue and held it for a couple seconds. TA-DA! My own homemade feather headband. I'm sure it would have been a lot more difficult with individual feathers. Thank you, Michael's for not making me deal with that :)



2 down, 8 to go!!!

8 comments:

  1. Very cute and seems easy to make....which sometimes is TOO hard for me.

    I think I am really creative and then .....I find out I am NOT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my goodness, you are so creative. i love reading your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous!! You did an incredible job...I wonder if I could accomplish it? You should totally sell these.

    xoxo,
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute... I see an Etsy shop in your future!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Go you! This is SO pretty! Plus the perfect instructions! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did a great job, looks like a headband one can get at Forever21!:D

    I am your newest follower!:D

    ***** Marie *****
    allthingsmarie.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, you are so talented. This looks amazing!! You may need to start an etsy shop so we can get our hands on a few.

    xo M

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing your comments. Don't like reading spam...just thought we should clear that up!