Fabulous header picture from i.Anton

Friday, March 25, 2011

Happy Friday & FBFF- Feminism

The week is finally over. Hallelujah. It seems like it was extra painful this week. So I'm excited to say it's the weekend and I'm ready for some fun.

My weekend plans include a girl's day with my college roommate and our moms. We're going to a cooking class demo and lunch after. I'm hoping to get a pedicure this weekend too, Mom??

via

And I've scheduled a play-date with my niece, P! She's only 10 months old but is walking already! YIKES.

Hope you have a great weekend!!

and now onto FBFF



1. Do you think there is an incompatibility between feminism and a
love for fashion?
No, I think there is a stereotype about feminists and that they could care less about fashion and beauty. That's just ludicrous in my opinion. You can have strong beliefs about women's rights and strong beliefs that Jimmy Choos are superior to Manolo Blahniks...


2. There is more to each of us than a love for fashion, how do you
incorporate every aspect of yourself into your blog?
For me, if I'm interested in it, I'm writing about it. Sure, a lot of my posts are about clothes, accessories and beauty products. But a lot of it is also about my relationships with my friends who I adore---the recipes I see Paula Deen or any other blogger whipping up---and the things I am dealing with in my day-to-day life.

3. With the fashion industry still being a male-dominated profession,
how do you think it would differ if women played a larger role?
I think the advertising and image pushed onto women buyers would be a tad different. First of all no 2 women look the same, even if they're the same size and height. We are all shaped differently, look differently and WEAR the clothes differently. If only everything wasn't so cookie cutter as to "how" you should look.

4. How is your self-image and the way you carry yourself informed by
your beliefs?
I believe you can be Smart and Funny. Sophisticated and Goofy. Stylish and Serious. You really can be the person you want to be without compromising for others. Who said everyone had to be a Stepford wife? Boring! I think once you truly like who you are, everything else comes through. There's no need to worry, you can just live.

5. Do you think clothing/makeup/hair helps communicate the truth about
yourself or are those things superfluous add-ons?
I think it can help you get your point across. If I want to be taken seriously at work I'm not going to show up in a certain look. It just won't work for me to get where I want to be professionally. However, at the same time, if I want to rock a deep red lip that doesn't mean anything I'm saying should be viewed differently. It's a fine line, I guess....

7 comments:

  1. Good luck with your play-date! ..Although I think I'm the only person who needs luck with children haha! A cooking class sounds like so much fun. I took some Viking ones years ago and had a blast. There were a surprising amount of single guys in there!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your weekend sounds so fun! I've always wanted to take a cooking class. And how crazy that P's walking already! I love your answer to #4 and couldn't agree more. And your brother's having a photo booth at his wedding??? AMAZING! It's literally my favorite thing ever. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay wait a sec. Your niece is walking at 10 MONTHS?? Girl is going to take on the world!

    xo,
    c
    i'd love a pedi myself this weekend. hmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved your answers on the Feminism questions, very solid!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cooking class looks so fun. I've been wanting to do something like that - you'll have to let us know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great blog post- I am a modern feminist too! Sounds like a great weekend- nothing better than a girl's weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a great post! I couldn't agree more... on all points. I definitely consider myself a feminist, but by that, I mean I am who totally supports how badass women are and how much we should embrace it on all fronts for equality.

    And for me, I have to partial to Manolos... sorry! I'm a sex and the city girl at heart. Fabulous.

    Hope you have a wonderful day!
    B.

    That Girl in Pearls

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing your comments. Don't like reading spam...just thought we should clear that up!