Fabulous header picture from i.Anton

Monday, August 2, 2010

Great Summer Side

I'm always looking for summer sides that are not potato salads or macaroni salads. I'm not a huge mayo person and there seems to be no options sans mayo! So I stumbled upon a Bobby Flay recipe and tweaked it ever so slightly.

It's a grilled corn/tomato/sweet onion side salad. It was easy and got the thumbs up from every diner! The best part is I got charged for 58 ears of corn at the grocery store and will be returning tomorrow to get refunded. REALLY, 58 EARS? Who would buy that many? Kate Gosselin?!

What you'll need:




  • 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
  • 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • Salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 8 ears corn, grilled in the husk, kernels removed
  • 1 sweet onion (such as Vidalia or Walla Walla), halved and thinly sliced
  • 1 pint Sweet 100 tomatoes or cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 4 ounces of goat cheese (more or less to your taste)
  • Fresh basil sprigs, for garnish
  • An ice cold beverage of your choice ;)

Throw the corn on the grill for about 15-20 minutes, turning occasionally. They'll start off looking like this...and end up looking like this:



While the corn is on the grill, chop the tomatoes in half, slice the sweet onion, and chop the basil.




In a blender, put the oil, rice vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper, and basil and blend until smooth.


looks creepy, tastes delicious.

Grab the corn off the grill, de-husk it. Definitely recommend doing this with a dish towel because the corn is quite hot. Then hold the corn with a dish towel with you slice it off into a large bowl. This is kind of annoying, but well worth it.



Combine the Corn, Tomatoes, Onions in the bowl. Toss with the basil sauce. Top it off with goat cheese and basil garnish.



forgot the goat cheese before the pic, oops!


Dig in and ENJOY!!

DO you have any go-to summer sides? Please share. I cannot wait to make Carrie's White Cheddar & Shrimp Stuffed JalapeƱos as soon as possible! They look SO good and I have a weak spot for anything jalapeƱo :) I kept the left-overs and hope it's just as good tomorrow, will let you know.

10 comments:

  1. yummers! seems easy enough :)

    natasha @ twenty-something blog
    http://poshxoxo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. My go-to side dish always seems to be bruschetta! It tastes so good on grilled french bread. Mmm. <3

    Just found your blog, love it!

    -Erica
    Classy and Delicious

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roasted corn is my favorite! Your corn looks delicious. Cheers to summer.

    xo Marcie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! this looks very good, even though I'm not a huge corn fan! I'm a huge salad fan and maker :) Have you ever tried making salads with quinoa or couscous?

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm not a mayo fan either! this looks yummy! :D

    <3, Mimi
    http://whatmimiwrites.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahahahahahaha!! 58 ears of corn and Kate Gosselin! You have singlehandedly turned my crappy day around.

    I think I need to try this out. I've got some corn in the refrigerator right now...like 57 ears or something (hahahaha)

    Girl thanks for the shout out on the jalapenos! I love them and hope you do too!!

    xoxo,
    carrie

    ReplyDelete
  7. This salad looks amazing! I'm not a mayo fan either. My go-to sides are green salads, sauteed green beans, roasted broccoli, or roasted potatoes. I love finding new sides though and I might have ot make this soon!

    xo
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  8. yum..i love corn on th ecob on the grill. great summer salad.
    kate gosselin would buy more than 58. lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum!! I love this. My hubby and I both hate mayo so this would be a great summer side for us. Did you soak the corn before you grilled it? We always do a simple mozzarella caprese salad but this looks like a fab alternative!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't soak the corn but my Dad recommended it. I had just bought it the day before and it was pretty wet/damp when I put it on the grill...

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing your comments. Don't like reading spam...just thought we should clear that up!