Fabulous header picture from i.Anton

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Travel Must-Haves

There are a few things you should know about me. One, I'm borderline OCD when it comes to folding and organizing clothes. Two, I travel a fair amount. Finally, I love the challenge of packing. Challenge? Ugh, terrible. I'm rolling my eyes as we speak...

How lame is that? I love packing...it's weird. I fold everything in such a precise manner (I believe I honed this gift while folding baby onesies at BabyGap in high school) and I'm anal about where everything goes in my bag. Shoes never just chill in there. I mean, if you lived in Chicago and walked these streets, you'd understand. I have little shoe bags and I use the free people mini bags when I run out of my other shoe protectors.

I'm going to the Mountains in Colorado tomorrow for some MUCH needed R&R. So I found my carry-on and am about to take the packing plunge.

But first, let's talk travel! Ahhh, travel my long lost friend. I think there are a few things that are mandatory when traveling. Here's my list:

1. Pashmina: I can't remember the last time I flew without one. Even if it's 110 degrees, I'm wearing a pashmina to the airport. Hello? Planes are cold. Passengers are creepy. Pashminas keep you warm and can also be wrapped around your neck so much your neighbor is no longer visible!

2. Noise Canceling Headphones: Thank you techy men and women! I no longer have to have my iPod on full blast. I can actually HEAR my music and at the same time and blissfully unaware of a loud rummmmmbling of the engines.

3. Books/Kindle: I read like a maniac. So when I'm going on a strictly R&R vacation, I better have a lot of books with me. Case in point, 9 day cruise in January, read 7 books. The Kindle makes this so much easier and my bags are that much lighter. Thank you, Amazon.

4. iPod: Self-explanatory. Can't live without music.

5. Ballet Flats: Ok girls, I get it. You want to look good when you fly. That's fine. In fact, I really don't get the schleppy/just rolled out of bed look at the airport. Gross. Put on real clothes. And if you're going comfy, look presentable. No dolphin pajama pants, please! Ballet Flats are the perfect answer to cute shoes but with comfort. No need for heels. However, I'll wear gym shoes or boots if I need to pack them and they're just too bulky!

6. Snacks: Since when do you have to pay for snacks?? coughAmericancough. How lame. I usually bring a trail mix bar, gum, pretzels, and a Crystal Light packet for when I'm sick of plain water!

7. Smile: so cheesy, I know. But do you know how stressful it is to travel under pressure? To sit next to someone who is so grumpy that you want to scream? To have to stand in line behind the person screaming at the attendant who had no idea why all the flights are sold out? I am by NO MEANS the sweetest person alive. But the world is round and karma is a biotch. Don't be mean to the person who has control of your bags or could bump you to first class. Be pleasant, it's not their fault you didn't read the baggage limits!


So for me, this is going to be my go-to scarf for the trip:

Scarf from Anthropologie

My dog, Ozzie, doesn't want me to go, but he's a good assistant :)

Must get new camera! These blurry pics are driving me mad!!

What do you always take with you when you travel? Anything you feel is a must-have for the trip??


I just realized I posted this last night, 8/9 but it was posted under 8/4. Weird...

8 comments:

  1. this is so similar to my must haves! the scarf especially - makes me a little more comfortable knowing i can cuddle in to it !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I unfortunately have more than one go to scarf. I have a little bit of an addiction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I fly, I splurge on magazines that I never buy otherwise like People, Marie Claire, O, Vanity Fair...

    oh, and beef jerky. :]

    ReplyDelete
  4. i always have a scarf with me when i travel! it looks cute & is the perfect blankie :)

    i read your about me, i also looove cinamon dulce lattes, although i've never had a soy one. i wonder if they taste different?

    ReplyDelete
  5. oo & i always have magazines & books!

    ReplyDelete
  6. People who "dress down" at the airport really annoy me. I always try to dress nice when I fly. One of my friends had great advice- she said that way if you get bumped, need a new flight, want to request vouchers, file a complaint, etc. You are more likely to be taken seriously. Traveling can be so unpredictable. You are a lot less likely to get that free hotel voucher when your flight gets canned if you are asking for it while wearing pants with tinkerbelle on them. Just sayin'. :) Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your travel essentials! My must haves are also snacks, a good book, and my ipod. I also like to have bubble gum, a light comfy sweater, and moisturizer because my hands and face get so dry on planes. Have a great trip to CO!

    Thank you for your sweet comment yesterday. Those pumps are a really pale grey. I just bought them at Nine West on sale for $29!

    xo
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing your comments. Don't like reading spam...just thought we should clear that up!