Fabulous header picture from i.Anton

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Yes, I am a bookworm.

I truly love to read. I grew up reading with my mom but didn't really get into it on my own until...Harry Potter. Which, go ahead, if you're a HP hater, that's fine. But I have nothing but love for it and J.K. Rowling is my hero.

Anyhoo, I was about to go to Europe for 3 weeks when I was 16 and my mom and I went to Borders to find books to help pass the time. The saleswoman recommended HP because it was all the rage and I quickly bought the first two books. Little did I know I would be paying close to $40 for the hardcover Prisoner of Azkaban book in English while in small town Austria! But, I did and I was hooked. I pre-ordered the rest of the series as it came out and have seen every movie in the theater and own each. I have to thank J.K. for making my imagination come back to life and turn me into the reader I am today.



I read as much as I can. I love all kinds of books but I have to say that chick-lit is my favorite with murder mysteries a veryveryclose second. I'm a pretty fast reader so if I'm into the book, forget about it, it's going to be finished before I realize I read it. This can also be a problem because I read so much I forget what I read. Thank goodness for Goodreads!

So I wanted to talk about my favorite books I've read recently.

Must say this because it is my all time favorite and I re-read it about once a year...



To Kill a Mockingbird: Ohhh how original. A lawyer loves this book. Well I wasn't a lawyer when I fell in love with Atticus Finch! Gosh, what a perfect man! He's not only a great dad but he has the best moral compass and respect for others that I've ever seen (well...read) I plan on naming my first dog Atticus...no, seriously. I'm that big of a dork. and secretly want a second dog named Boo Radley...haha





(A catch-all, although Heart of the Matter was recent!) Emily Giffin Books: Girl, you do no wrong. I always fall immediately into her scenes and dialogue. I believe she actually listens to people what? shocking! and therefore her books have a very organic flow which helps to give them a huge feel of authenticity. I loved Something Borrowed and Baby Proof. Heart of the Matter struck a chord with me and I'm not sure, but it wasn't the feeling I normally had at the end of reading one of her books...

Something About You, Julie James. Just discovered Julie while browsing the amazon Kindle shop. Her books are nice and cheap but they are FAB! Again, great conversations, characters, and make you laugh out loud. She has 3 books out and I read all 3 immediately, I absolutely recommend them :) Plus she's from Chicago and 2 of her 3 books were set here. Love it.

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, Stieg Larsson. I have to say I jumped on this bandwagon. But I wasn't sold on the first 180 pages or so. I mean, it took me 1/3 of the book to get into it. That's not my style. I don't like to quit reading books. Except I stopped reading Eat, Pray, Love because I loathed the narrator. I can't believe I just said that out loud because I'm sure people are obsessed with that book. Was it a mood? A funk? I don't know. I am giving it a second try though, so daggers down!!! After I got further into Lisbeth Salander's world, I was HOOKED. I'm currently reading The Girl Who Played With Fire.

The Help, Kathryn Stockett. This book gave me the chills. I was nervous the whole time. I was deeply moved. And so help me god, I wanted to know everyone's secrets!! This is a must read in my opinion and everyone I know agrees. It's been on the NYT's best sellers list now for weeks. It's also my friends' book for our Book Club this month...which by the way is so fun because we eat, drink, gossip, and talk about the book for ohh 20 minutes.

Water for Elephants, Sara Gruen. Another book I felt like I lived in. I could just see the Circus and smell the popcorn. Jacob was such a multifaceted character. I literally couldn't put this book down. Now Robert Pattinson & Reese Witherspoon are making the movie and I have fingers and toes crossed it's decent. I say decent because very FEW movies ever hold a candle to the books.

My Name is Memory, Ann Brashares. This author might be familiar to you all as the writer of the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series. I can't explain this book except to say I loved the concept and I wanted to know more. And of course it was left at a point where you just sit there and wonder....damn, when is the next book coming out? The idea is that every soul continues to live on after the person dies and some people can recognize their old friends' "souls" in new bodies. Hey, I think it can happen! I also think toys talk when you leave the room...thanks, Pixar.

So I have a big favor to ask...I'm going to Colorado next Tuesday (yippppeeeee!) and I need some books to read. Any new faves? Or old classics you can't get enough of? Please let me know, I absolutely love book recommendations! If you want some from me, just ask!!

11 comments:

  1. omg, i love love love to read. i am currently finishing the undomestic goddess by sophie kinsella. so as for recommendations, i totally recommend all her books: the shopaholic series (there are 5), the undomestic goddess, can you keep a secret?, remember me, and twenties girl. perfect chick-lit. and i also have to say, i am a huuuugggeee harry potter fan! i love it, and i think j.k. rowling is a genius! i read to kill a mockingbird in high school, and i've read a lot of classics that i absolutely loved. i am also adding those other books you have here on my "to-read" list. :D

    <3, Mimi
    http://whatmimiwrites.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always loved reading but eventually became way to busy with a lot of stuff. That list sounds like a good place to rekindle my love for reading. Have a wonderful weekend sweetie

    ReplyDelete
  3. A friend of mine (an avid reader like me!) has sworn that The Red Tent (by Anita Diamant) is the best book she's ever read. It's next on my list. She has also recommended Crazy Ladies (by Michael Lee West) if you are looking for a fun southern women read. One of my all time enjoyable reads was Daisy Fay and the Miracle Man (by Fannie Flagg -she wrote Fried Green Tomatoes) because it has a spunky young southern girl character with a very interesting life (you may really enjoy her since you are a To Kill a Mockingbird fan, and I'll assume you love Scout!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love books too, bigtime. I'm currently reading "One Day" by David Nicholls - I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was planning to go to Universal Studios to check out the Harry Potter section at the end of the month. You post was a little reminder..haha :)

    Natasha @ twenty-something blog
    http://poshxoxo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. there is going to be a water for elephants MOVIE?! that book has been on my bookshelf waiting to be read for MONTHS. and because i am the slowest reader ever i have still not gotten to it. i'm still holding out on seeing the time traveler's wife until i read the book... and i need to finish never let me go before the movie comes out. but i agree, movies often are way not as good as the books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm such a bad law school hopeful, I've never read, or viewed the movie, To Kill a Mockingbird.

    I'm never going to get into law school/lawyer heaven now.

    damn

    ChuckRefreshed

    ReplyDelete
  8. an addition:

    I've been dying to read The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. I've heard very mixed reviews, but it is still on my to-read list. Hopefully I'll get to it in the next month or so.

    ReplyDelete
  9. haha Chuck, believe me it's not required. You should check it out sometime just because it's that good. And give dragon tattoo some time...I enjoyed it but have friends who gave it a "meh" rating!

    Molly: Time Traveler book was SO much better than movie. Movie was decent, but the book...ahmazing!

    Thanks to Dt & Krystal for the recommendations...ordering on kindle now. Krystal: have heard GREAT things about One Day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i recently read all of emily giffen's books , i loved them all. i read something blue & baby proof each in one day! can't wait to read her latest

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing your comments. Don't like reading spam...just thought we should clear that up!