Fabulous header picture from i.Anton

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Winter Comfort Food

When the weather gets colder it's time to turn up the heat in the kitchen. I'm talking stews, soups, casseroles, etc. The only problem with a lot of these dishes is that they're loaded with calories.

Here's a fool proof and low-cal way to get a tasty and warm pasta dish!

What you'll need:
-Whole Grain Penne
-2 small heads of Broccoli
-Artichoke Hearts (I used 1 can of artichoke hearts)
-Chicken
-6-8 cloves of Garlic
-3 T. Olive Oil
-Salt
-Pepper

1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
2. Chop the broccoli, place in pan and add 2 T. of olive oil and 6 cloves of garlic (+/- depending on your love for garlic)





3. Chop the artichoke hearts, place in dish and add 1 T. of olive oil and 2 cloves of garlic



4. Roast the broccoli and artichoke hearts for 20 minutes. After 10 minutes flip them around in the dish.



5. While the B&A are cooking, boil water for the pasta.
6. Cook pasta as directed.
7. Save 1-2 cups of the boiled water for the pasta before draining.
8. Chop up chicken (I used a rotisserie chicken so I didn't have to prepare my own)
9. Mix the pasta, broccoli, artichoke hearts, and chicken together.
10. Add at least 1 cup of the reserved water to the pasta. Add more if you'd like.
11. Top with fresh Parmesan cheese


You can add more olive oil to the pasta but the broccoli and artichoke will be full of flavor!!

Enjoy!!

I'm going Christmas shopping with my mom tonight and we're grabbing dinner at the famous Walnut Room! Don't worry, I'll blog all about it!

5 comments:

  1. hmm..i make this dish but mine probably has 2000 more calories.. ahaha And I would never think to put artichoke hearts - yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so healthy and it sounds delicioussss...ohhh it's dinner time that's why i'm drooling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so delicious!!! I've been roasting all my vegetables lately and it makes them so much better. But I've never tried roasting artichoke hearts. I definitely have to try this recipe. Oh, and you're going to the walnut room, how exciting! I can't wait to see pictures about it tomorrow. Have fun shopping!

    xo
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so ridiculously good. I am a fool for artichoke hearts and will LOVE making this dish!! Putting the pasta on the grocery list right now.

    xo,
    c

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an absolutely delicious recipe. I just might have to give it a try.

    xo

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing your comments. Don't like reading spam...just thought we should clear that up!