Fabulous header picture from i.Anton

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Healthy Veggie Pizza

I love pizza but I don't love the calories. And being from Chicago I was not only raised on pizza, I'm very particular about what I eat. Sauces have to be right. Crust is so important. And toppings? Don't get me started.

So the other week I was craving pizza but didn't want to #1) wait for delivery #2) go pick it up and #3) didn't have any frozen pizzas in the freezer.

I looked in the fridge and pantry and had everything I'd need to make my own so I figured I'd take the plunge.

-I had an organic make-your-own dough mix so that was a corner I cut. If you have Boboli, use that. Or if you're really snazzy and make your own dough, well you're ahead of the game!

Next I cut up every type of vegetable I'd want on my pizza. It was quite the hodgepodge.
-Onions
-Fresh Spinach
-Some Nuts
-Artichoke Hearts
-Red & Green Peppers
-Mushrooms
-Garlic

***I apparently didn't have my flash on because these pictures are less than great. Sorry***



I sautéed the vegetables in a small amount of EVOO.

Next, I brushed the pizza dough with EVOO and 1 tablespoon of Pesto Sauce (it goes a long way with a brush!!)


Finally, I added all my vegetables on top and sprinkled the pizza with some fresh mozzarella I grated. I didn't use a lot of cheese because I was trying to make this as healthy as possible.





Then I let the pizza bake at 400 for 12-15 minutes until the cheese was cooked to my liking.




It just goes to show that you can make even your unhealthiest crave-worthy meal a tad more healthy so you can really enjoy yourself!

Do you have any go-to healthy recipes?? I'm a sucker for comfort food and am constantly on the hunt for a healthy way to eat mac 'n cheese. I just don't know if it's out there!

And can I just say I'm so bummed I never made it to the pumpkin patch at the Orchard we visited last week? Allison has amazing pictures here!

8 comments:

  1. That looks SO yummy! And I forgot to mention, this past weekend was the first weekend the pumpkin patch was open. So you didn't miss it. Well, I lie, you did miss it, but not because you passed it, it wasn't open yet. (Lol, does that ANY sense?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yah I haven't seen a good recipe for healthy mac and cheese, haha :) Have you eaten Aurelio's? it's from the chicago area and we always get it when we go home :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That looks great! I love veggie pizza. This is definitely a recipe I can handle ;)

    <3, natasha
    enter my Charlotte Russe giveaway!
    twenty-something blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this little thing called the Veggie Melt that a local pizza place used to make years ago. So simple and yumm!
    Pita pocket loaded with: sliced green bell pepper, shredded lettuce, black and green olives, fresh sliced mushroom, thin sliced onion, and shredded sharp cheddar. Wrap in foil and stick in oven (350* ?)for about 10min and the veggies will steam up. Then if you want, peel the foil down, stand it up (in the oven wrap slats) and get it crispy. dip into dressing and eat. It's basically a cooked salad but something about it is super crave-worthy!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Flash or no flash this pizza looks and sounds amazing. Gah! I wish I could whip this up right now!!

    I don't have a go-to healthy version of mac & cheese...I just gobble it up anyway with quinoa pasta. YUM!

    xoxo,
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  6. delicious! I should really try this...we love pizza but it's usually dripping in oil when we order

    ReplyDelete
  7. that looks awesome..where did you get the make your own crust kit--whole foods?

    xx a j http://seejaneworkplaylive.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. i am now officially hungry and craving that pizza!

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing your comments. Don't like reading spam...just thought we should clear that up!