Fabulous header picture from i.Anton

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Splurge v. Steal: Maxi Dresses

I have a confession to make. I have a serious dress disorder. Dress, not stress. Remember the vault I was telling you about in The GREAT brick wall? Well it's a huge closet. One entire side is lined with dresses...and this doesn't include the random ones at the cleaner's or folded cotton ones. It's kind of disgusting, actually.



But I digress...the point of today's post is to talk Splurge v. Steal. We've all seen it in magazines, on makeover shows, and even done by our friends. You see something you crave. It's beautiful, it's hand sewn, and it's $595. Ouch. And it always seems to happen that you (well I know I do) gravitate towards the most expensive thing at the store. Not fun. In fact, I think it's a form of punishment.

So my current Splurge v. Steal items I want to showcase today are two beautiful and fun maxi dresses. These dresses are on the dressier side and not your run of the mill 'long jersey dress to throw on for errands'.


If you just saw these, could you guess which one was more $$?


The first is a black halter type dress by Tibi. I cannot tell you how much I love it and how many compliments I have gotten while wearing it. It's equisite. Not only is it cut incredibly well, it has so much detailing. The gold stones on the front, the paisley print throughout (and coming up from the bottom, my fave), plus the T cut of the back topped off with black, shiny buttons.


details, details, details!

Sexy back

It, to me, is almost as close as you can get to dressed up maxi perfection. And it was $620. AHHH! Fear not, bloggers! I did not pay this much. In fact, I stumbled upon this dream in a mid-week, mid-day excursion to Macy's on State Street in Chicago (ugh, I miss you, Marshall Field's). While shopping around in the contemporary section I saw multiple racks that screamed UP TO 80% OFF! Honestly, my first reaction was, WTF? Contemporary designers like Milly, Marc by Marc, Theory, Rebecca Taylor (ok, shut up now) up to 80% off? SO I dove in...and there she was. She fit perfectly (minus a necessary shortening of the hem...and I'm almost 5'8" and it was crazy long) and, wait for it....she was $124. DONE. And there we went, together, out of Macy's and into the streets of Chicago awaiting our first chance to wear the beauty.

Now onto my Steal dress (even though the Tibi was a steal in and of itself) While perusing the racks of dresses at Target, I came across this beauty. Oooh I love the print was the first thing I thought. AND a one shouldered neckline? Booyah, I'm in. It cinched in all the right spots, was a narrow fit without being too tight, and had a fun ruffle. Oh and guess what? It was on clearance for $24.99. Thank you, Target. And a bigger thanks to Liberty of London for making a Target line.

I love ruffles!!!

how fun is this print??

I've worn both dresses a couple times and ALWAYS get compliments. While the Tibi dress holds a special spot in my heart because it felt like fate that we would find each other, I am just as proud, if not more, of my Target dress.

Do you ever like your bargain bought goods better? Don't they feel like more of a treat and an accomplishment? I get more offended when my amazing found Target/Thrift store finds get ruined than a Marc by Marc Jacobs dress. Why? Because you EXPECT the expensive item to last, why else would you pay that much for it?!?

So with that my friends, I leave you with this question: What has been your best Splurge v. Steal? What items do you recommend splurging on and others saving on? Is there any place in particular you ALWAYS find steals? Do share!!

Oh and don't forget...you have until 11:59 CST, tomorrow, MONDAY 7/26/10 to enter my 1st Freebie Friday!!!

All pictures are property of yours truly. If you feel like using them, that's cool, but I suggest you give me credit or put a link back to the page or it might get ugly ;)

8 comments:

  1. What beautiful dresses! Personally, I don't mind splurging on timeless accessory pieces - handbags, shoes, jewelry, etc. For some reason, I can't picture myself spending a lot of money on actually clothing items. Trends change so often and so does my mood. I can't tell you how many times I purchase something, wear it once or twice, then it sits in the closets!

    I always find great buys at Macy's weekend sales, target stores (clearance is awesome), Banana Republic outlet store and Forever 21 of course.

    Natasha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree, Natasha. I hate buying clothes full price unless it's an absolute staple. I would much rather spend the money on a nice leather bag than a something so trendy it will be down right ugly next fall!

    And I would like to give a big hug to the new designers at Target. Their clothes & accessories are getting cuter everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great Target dress! (I too am a bigtime dress wearer.) I always get giddy when i find crazy bargains at places like TJMaxx, Marshalls, and Ross. Sometimes those places are a mess, and when you come out with a major score, there's almost no better feeling! heehee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw that dress at Target, bought it and then RETURNED IT. I am so disappointed! :(

    great bargain!

    xo Lynzy
    http://fromskirtstoskillets.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love maxi dresses. I couldn't tell which one was a splurge or a steal in all honesty. But in person maybe it's easier. My splurges are for the classics you always go back to, like a little black dress, comfy high heels. Things I save on are white tee shirts (they always fade and get destroyed over time). Another splurge, bras! You have to have a good one if you want to make the outfit on top look good.

    Rachael

    ReplyDelete
  6. They're both SO pretty, but now that I know the red one was $24.99, I almost like it better! $600??? Thank goodness you found the 80% off sale. I had a good laugh over your comment about Cross body bags. Good for you for spotting that trend early! :)

    xo
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have no patience for shopping at target (clothing). I don't get it. I see everyone getting ""Such & such designer For Target" stuff and I never luck out.

    :/

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing your comments. Don't like reading spam...just thought we should clear that up!