Fabulous header picture from i.Anton

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Perks, Perks, PERKS!

I don't know about you, but I love me some perks. I'm talking frequent flier miles, store memberships, movie points, the works. What's not to love? But then I got to thinking about it and really these companies deserve a huge round of applause for making me spend more than I need. (Please, I am not the first to realize this, as Carter from a rather large airline is basking in the sun at his Hampton's estate courtesy of the bonus that followed his idea to "perk" up his company...)

So then I thought, hmm Why do we love perks so much? And this is what I came up with:

1. The Card--you know what I'm talking about. Standing in line to buy a movie ticket and OH wait, here's my card. The guy behind you thinks, what's that? how did she get that? where do I get one?

2. The Coupons-- ah, yes. The coupons, which let's face it you're going to need b/c you just spent $34 on two movie tickets! A small pop & popcorn for $5? Yes, please!

3. Free, Free, Free-- Wait a minute, you mean if I take tons of flights and spend thousands of dollars flying on AA (not to mention thousands more on bag fees, and the damn sandwich I have to buy on board) I get a free ticket? OOH exciting. Oh wait, I can't use it for that flight at that time on that day? Oh...yeah...hmmph.

4. The Status-- very few of you know what I mean. You reach a certain level and BAM! You're practically famous. While I'll never be George Clooney's character in Up in the Air, I do mooch on those who are (Thanks, Mom!) Priority Boarding? Cutting in line at Security? Free upgrades to First Class?! Oh how I wish I had a job that had to fly me around so I could rack up some FF points!

5. The SPECIAL card-- sure, sure you're one of thousands with a Starbucks rewards card. Now order your latte and move along. Oh wait, I 'm sorry, you have a personalized card? Well step right up, Ms. Special. It's the Starbucks GOLD card. That's right. It's Gold (we're not talking real gold ala the Black Amex Titanium card, come on people! It's a recession!) it has a smart looking cup on the front...and YOUR NAME! You, my friend, have just arrived. Oh and free syrups, soy milk and drinks on your birthday!


Can you think of any other reasons these perks programs are so successful and why it's so easy to become obsessed with them?!

2 comments:

  1. Hi there! I love me some perks too! Bath and Body Works coupons are el bomb, grocery cards that rack up $ off gallons of gas is one that I am in on, and also my husby has an amazing discount card for Walgreens thru his job! I love them because they save money and take the guilt off of all the tiny things I tend to collect in my shopping cart because I want to try things out all the time! Cute blog ~ come on over and visit mine! :D It's my 3rd - sometimes life interupts and new starts are fun for launching back into the blogosphere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, thanks for the sweet comment! You look like you have a great start to your blog! I pretty recently started my blog as well. Let's follow each other!

    <3 natale eve

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing your comments. Don't like reading spam...just thought we should clear that up!