Fabulous header picture from i.Anton

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Nostalgia

"Nostalgia literally means the pain from an old wound. It’s a twinge in your heart, far more powerful than memory alone."

Mad Men

My trip to Iowa City was incredibly nostalgic. Driving up Dubuque Street and seeing my old apartment. Walking to tailgate & going to Kinnick. Hitting our old stomping grounds like Brother's. Browsing stores like Dulcinea, Catherine's and Akar. Eating at Quinton's. Sunday morning Chai Tea and paper at Java House. It goes on and on...

Nostalgia is hard. It's difficult to explain. I'm happy for where I am today, but I miss the days of college life. Or even my life a year ago. But memories are great and pictures are a fabulous way to remember what once was. I always find that certain songs bring me right back to a specific night or experience.

Here are some snapshots of my weekend down memory lane...



Apartment at Fairchild & Dubuque.




Love the beginning of the games! Our seats were awesome too!




Dulcinea is such an adorable boutique



Way too many carbs at Quinton's! Baked potato soup & the smoke stack. Yum!



Java House always has interesting local art hanging.


Mmm soy chai, berry muffin & the Sunday papers.


And last but not least....Halloween in a college town. Where students think less is more. It's not.


What are you nostalgic for?

5 comments:

  1. OMG, that last picture is hilarious. I agree, less isn't always more. HAHA!! It's funny that your post is about nostalgia today, because that's how I've been feeling all week (and weekend) after visiting my family. It's hard to put it into words, but you did a fabulous job. It's such a happy/sad feeling that makes me appreciate my current life but long for the past all at the same time. Glad you had a great weekend!

    xo
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahaa less is not more, huh?
    Great pictures :) I really got the feel for how much it meant to you...

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh HELL NO on those costumes!! holy mother of pearl - i almost passed out.

    i love what you wrote about nostalgia. last week i was really thinking how much i miss a friend of mine who passed away a few years ago. and then my niece who is 4 called on halloween to tell me about her costume and told me she would really like if i could come to her birthday - in canada - "if i wasn't working". it killed me. and i've been sappy and weepy all week thinking about all her birthdays i've missed.

    xoxo,
    carrie
    her bday is over thanksgiving weekend here so it makes it extra difficult to get up there. oy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing stadium seats! I'm so jealous :)

    <3, natasha @ twenty-something blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. AHAHAHAHA That's the funniest thing I've ever seen! Just because you can, it doesn't mean you should..... and I might even go so far as to say that these girls probably can't! whoops!
    Nostalgia is a funny ol' thing...and you're right, it definitely tugs at those heart strings.
    xox tash

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing your comments. Don't like reading spam...just thought we should clear that up!