Fabulous header picture from i.Anton

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Paint it Black

I've been wanting to do a chalkboard paint DIY for quite some time now. Since moving into the new place, I have a huge wall in my kitchen that was just screaming for a chalkboard.

And so my love affair with chalkboard paint began...

I went to Home Depot (or as we refer to it Home DéPo) for the chalkboard paint (around $12 for a can that has plenty of projects in it!) and then $6 for a piece of particle board.

Mix the chalkboard paint up well.
Paint.
Wait 4 hours (or overnight b/c you're lazy...)
Paint again.
Wait 3 days to condition (or 1 day b/c you're impatient and don't believe the directions on the paint)
Condition the chalkboard. THIS IS SUPER IMPORTANT!!
You condition the chalkboard by rubbing a piece of chalk (along the length of the chalk) all over the board. Then you erase the chalk. If you don't do this then the 1st thing you write on that chalkboard will be there FOREVER. Chalkboard paint is porous and will absorb the chalk and never let you wipe it away.

Write away!

All materials can be purchased at Home DéPo!


Beer was absolutely necessary.

Conditioned Board. I HIGHLY recommend doing this outside as it is a very dusty process!

The finished product!
I secured it on the wall with the clips you would use to secure a mirror. (and a whopping $1.96)


I took this a step further and painted a small square on a swing top bottle (i love labeling things. hello OCD)



and then painted an empty frame's glass front for a presentable list for my bedroom.
Yes, I know I use exclamation points too much.

Have you ever done a chalkboard paint DIY?

Do any of you have facebook pages for your blog? If so, do tell!

Pursuit of LLT on Facebook

1 comment:

  1. Love love LOVE! PS: One of these days, we'll have another little get together :)

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing your comments. Don't like reading spam...just thought we should clear that up!